We have all been there, whether you are a “control freak” or “perfectionist” who struggles with the handoff, or a great delegator who regularly gives away routine work.
You start doing something and you just know that someone else could do it.. perhaps should do it.. perhaps does it better. Yet, you rationalize that you will do it faster, she is busy, you don’t want to bother / distract him, you waited too long and now it’s urgent, or my favorite- it will only take a few minutes.
Is this an issue, perhaps not.
But, you are a candidate for more delegation if:
- You are exhausted/ overworked/ burnt out doing work you don’t enjoy
- You want to spend more time in your “circle of genius” and do things you actually enjoy
- Your business revenue has flat-lined, or is losing customers or opportunities because you haven’t implemented those big plans you have
- Your high potential people are leaving after a few year
Why should you delegate— in case you need reminding:
- Your time is available to focus on high value long-term activities to grow, scale or optimize your business
- By delegating, you develop the skills of your team members, which is actually the number one reward and the reason they stay with your company
- Your brief initial time “investment” pays dividends over time
If you think about investing your time to show someone a task that takes you “only 1 hour a month”
=1 hour training + 15 minutes verifying/ clarifying / training x 4 weeks = 2 hours invested in another person’s development versus 12 hours of your time year (6x your initial investment)!
You know you “should”—if you would like the “how” click here to read my article “Too Busy? 5 Steps to Delegate More”